Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ateneo's Championship Thursdays

That's right, it's plural, Thursdays!

Is it a coincidence that in the last four years that Ateneo won the title clinching game was a Thursday and it had rainy weather? All were also played out at the Araneta Coliseum.
 
I did some reasearch and this is what I found:
 
YEAR/DATE             DAY            WEATHER
 
Sept 25, 2008         Thur               Rain
Oct 08, 2009           Thur*             Rain
Sept 30, 2010         Thur               Rain
Oct 01, 2011           Sat**             Rain
Oct 11, 2012           Thur             Overcast
 
Ok, there are two entries with asterisks...let me explain...
 
*Of the last four championships, this series with UE was the only one to go to the limit. Ateneo lost game two (played on a Saturday, and their only finals loss of the last 4 years) and  left a blemish on an otherwise perfect finals record. The games had to be postponed  because Typhoon Ondoy wreaked havoc on the Metro on September 26, a Saturday. I feel that if this Series started on time, Ateneo would have wrapped this up on Thursday, October 1, a week earlier.
 
**Game two was supposed to be played on a Thursday (Sept. 29) but was again postponed because of Typhoon Pedring. Otherwise, I am sure The Blue Crew would have won the championship on that Thursday, September 29, 2011.
 
Superstitious? Sure!
Trend? Maybe...
I'm just saying....

I'm sure UST is going to try and spoil this for me, but as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't been scientifically proven that lightning can strike the same place twice!

Note:
Before the game I reminded Greg Slaughter about what happened to the team during game 2 of the UE series. Of course he wasn't part of the team yet, but he knew! His reply? "Thats not going to happen today!"
 

No comments:

Post a Comment